- 4 (about 500g) beetroot, peeled, quartered
- 1 x carrot, parsnip, onion, peeled, chopped
- 1 leek sliced
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice and nutmeg
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 cups beef or vegetable stock
- 1 cup (250ml) sour cream
- 4 tablespoons chopped dill
- Place the beetroot, carrot, parsnip, leek, onion, lemon juice, spices and bay leaves in a large saucepan with the stock.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer, partially covered, for 2 hours.
- Cool slightly, then blend in batches and season well with salt and pepper.
- Return to saucepan and gently heat through.
- Place in bowls and garnish with sour cream and dill.