Sitting still is hard enough without being uncomfortable, trying meditation while uncomfortable, well that's setting you up to fail.
Whilst meditating we are trying to open channels through the body which can bring a circulation of energy both mentally and physically to our bodies. If we stack out vertebrae (like bricks) neatly one on top of each other, we have more chance of sitting peacefully and accessing that circulation of energy. If we're sitting slouched or with vertebrae stacked like the Leaning Tower of Pisa, then that's what we'll be - leaning, with aches and pains and grumbling to stop.
Here are some top tips for having a comfortable meditation.
Meditation Sitting Cross Legged
* Make sure your hips are higher than your knees. If your knees are higher (like the picture here) you will find your hip flexors and back will become very tired and possibly sore too.
* If when you cross your legs your knees are too high use a pillow or yoga block to sit on.
* If you have trouble sitting up straight, move to sit up against a wall. Your hips and tailbone should be as close to the bottom of the wall, where it meets the floor, as possible. Remember you can still sit on a cushion by the wall too.
Meditation Sitting On A Chair
* You can sit in a straight back chair, just keep both feet evenly on the floor and again, sit upright and tall rather than leaning or slouching against the back of the chair.
* Keep your hips, again higher than the knees. Use a cushion to sit on if needed.
If you don't have any cushioning under your knees this can be very uncomfortable!
* Try sitting on a block or rolled up cushion to elevate your hips slightly, leaving less pressure on the knees, ankles and feet.
* That block or cushion is great on top of a soft mat or rug, rather than a hard surface, which isn't so forgiving to the joints.
The temperature is quite important, too hot and you'll fall asleep easily, too cold and you'll be uncomfortable and numb.
* Open the window so you have some fresh air.
* If it's cold use a blanket to have over your lap or around your shoulders
So...you're all set for a comfortable meditation.
Let me know how it goes.
Venessa is a down to earth Nutritional Therapist & Life Coach, specialising in helping clear your stress and problem skin through Holistic Simplicity. Her passion for healthy living, whole foods and beauty from the inside out, is a result of years of acne, adrenal exhaustion and digestion issues that affected not only her body but also her confidence. Venessa wants to share with you how Yoga & Meditation along with a natural, unprocessed diet and SkinB5 products can build flawless skin, amazing confidence, and a massive smile, as it has done for her’.
Check out Venessa’s website for more details about how Nutritional Therapy & Life Coaching could help you. www.holistic-simplicity.com
We've sent you an email with a link to update your password.
A password reset email has been sent to the email address on file for your account, but may take several minutes to show up in your inbox. Please wait at least 10 minutes before attempting another reset.
We recently migrated to a new platform!
This requires you to activate your account again. To do so please click “Create an Account” below, fill in the fields (please note the email MUST be the same email as your account previously otherwise it will be detected as a completely new account) and click register. If your email is detected in our system it will display “Error: We have sent an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, please click the link included to verify your email address.” Please check your email inbox for an activation link. Please note this email may have been sent to your spam box so keep an eye out for it!
Already activated? Sign in below.
No account yet?
Registering for this site allows you to access your order status and history.