Now is the time to plan what's on the holiday menu. Not just for christmas day specifically, but also for the entire season. Failing to plan only plans us for failure. So let’s get set with good choices and make sure we maintain our skin health through this indulgent time of year!
Good foods for good skin
With all the decadent choices around us, what are the best foods we can include at this time of year? Here’s a great list of foods high in skin-loving nutrients that you can safely indulge in:
- Zinc: oysters, seafood, eggs yolk, lamb, beef, capsicum
- Selenium: brazil nuts, cashews, alfalfa, eggs, fish, oysters, butter
- Vitamin E: almonds, pistachios, egg yolk, beef
- Vitamin B5: sweet potato, avocado, mushrooms, egg yolk, lobster
- Vitamin C: strawberries, citrus fruit, paw paw, sweet potato & parsley
To reduce your risk of breakouts, then ideally keep the consumption of the following low:
- Refined carbohydrates and sugars. For sensitive individuals that can also mean excluding grains in general as well
- Dairy products, especially low fat milk & yoghurt
- Soft drinks
- Chocolate (a double whammy of sugar & dairy!)
You can make ice-cream from frozen fruit or home-made chocolate with cacao, coconut oil & raw honey and consume in small portions. Instead of rice try cauliflower rice, and use sweet potatoes in place of white potatoes!
Alcohol is on the menu for most, and it’s important to remember that alcohol depletes us of our b-vitamins so it’s a good idea to supplement accordingly. SkinB5’s tablets contain vitamin B’s, so make sure you continue your SkinB5 supplement regime to control your breakouts. Here’s some extra tips to help minimise the impact on your skin & general health:
- Take an extra B-vitamin complex if you’re planning a few drinks (in the morning, or at least 6 hours away from bed as it will keep you awake!)
- Chose red wine over white wine or champagne as it tends to be lower in sugar
- Avoid spirits with soft drink. You’re better having them straight, with mineral or soda water & a piece of lemon or lime
- Drink lots of water as alcohol dehydrates the body & the skin. For every alcoholic beverage, follow it with a glass of spring water
- Keep your drinking moderate and always consume alcohol with food
- St Mary’s Thistle (aka Milk Thistle) is a herb that is great to support the liver
Some important things to keep on-hand:
- Healthy snacks. Unsalted nuts are great! Make sure you have the right choices with you so you won’t chose the bad stuff
- Frozen meals. Make big meals now with plenty of veggies and freeze them in portions
- Peppermint or Chamomile Tea to settle the stomach
- Apple Cider Vinegar or lemon juice in water before big meals helps digestion
- Slippery Elm powder can soothe & settle an over-indulged tummy
Stay safe & eat safe this silly season. It’s important to have fun and enjoy this time of year, and if you keep the above tips in mind then you’ll lesson the impact on your skin & general health.
Until next year! Yours in health,
Haley is a passionate Naturopath & nutrition expert, writer, and mum of 2 young children, with years of experience in the industry. She is a known as a real 'nutrition nerd' and follows the latest natural health research. As a Paleo and raw food enthusiast, she coaches people in healthy living, beauty and positive mindset. Haley has personally experienced the benefits of the SkinB5 natural acne treatment system and is happy to offer her guidance to help others regain clear skin. Follow her blog at www.aliveinwonderland.com & link with her on facebook at www.facebook.com/aliveinwonderlandhealth
We've sent you an email with a link to update your password.
A password reset email has been sent to the email address on file for your account, but may take several minutes to show up in your inbox. Please wait at least 10 minutes before attempting another reset.
We recently migrated to a new platform!
This requires you to activate your account again. To do so please click “Create an Account” below, fill in the fields (please note the email MUST be the same email as your account previously otherwise it will be detected as a completely new account) and click register. If your email is detected in our system it will display “Error: We have sent an email to email@example.com, please click the link included to verify your email address.” Please check your email inbox for an activation link. Please note this email may have been sent to your spam box so keep an eye out for it!
Already activated? Sign in below.
No account yet?
Registering for this site allows you to access your order status and history.