When you have acne, the initial instinct is to cover it up with makeup. But while you may feel better camouflaging your pimples with thick concealer or foundation, you are actually be creating further irritation with harsh makeup products – which can lead to more acne! Our top 5 tips for a makeup routine that will compliment your anti-acne skin care practices are:
- Choose a water-based, non-comedogenic foundation: the product of choice should be non-greasy, hypoallergenic, and water-based. This minimises irritation and will not create further redness or inflammation. Look for products that say non-comedogenic; this means it will not clog pores.
- Don’t layer it on: it is hard to resist the temptation to apply a thick layer of foundation to cover raised, red and angry pimples. Don’t do it, it will just make things worse! Use a minimal amount of foundation and use a mineral loose powder as finishing. To cover redness, use a colour correction foundation.
- Choose natural ingredient makeup: Some makeup contains harsh acids or ingredients that harm the skin, so it is best to use mineral makeup to minimise irritation. Use a natural, light hydrator, like SkinB5 Acne Control Moisturiser, before putting on a makeup as a protective barrier to keep the skin fresh and moist underneath the makeup. You can even combine the SkinB5 moisturiser with a high-quality mineral makeup products, an easy anti-acne trick!
- Keep it light: Always lightly apply foundation with bare hands and in a dabbing motion. Allow your skin to have breaks to breathe and recover by scheduling in makeup free days. When a little coverage is required, use a mineral loose powder instead of foundation.
- Remove makeup the right way: Always remove makeup before bed and never reapply makeup to old makeup. As always, remember to cleanse (with a gentle cleanser like SkinB5 Acne Control Cleansing Mousse) and moisturise morning and night.
While these tips will help you combat acne while using makeup, don’t forget the allure of natural beauty! SkinB5 natural acne treatment can help you regain clear skin and give you the confidence to greet the world make up free (just being your natural self)! That’s true freedom.