How to Beat the Heat and Stay Acne Free
1. Get a Smart Tan-or none at all! – The sun is not your enemy, as long as you are smart about your sun exposure. While tanning can hide acne blemishes and scars temporarily, tanning stresses your skin cells which can slow down the healing of acne and also clog pores with dead skin cells, leading to more breakouts. It’s best to avoid tanning altogether and wear sunscreen any time you go outside! Even on cloudy days, the sun’s rays can still harm unprotected skin. Get in the routine of applying an SPF each morning when you wake up!
2. Use a Water-Based Moisturiser – Heat, sunlight and humidity can irritate acne-prone skin during the summer. Keep your skin clear with an oil-free water based moisturiser such as SkinB5’s Acne Control Moisturiser. This non-comedogenic face lotion goes on light, dries quickly and helps keep your skin moist, rejuvenated and clear all day.
3. Cleanse, Cleanse, Cleanse – With hot summer days comes dirt, sweat, and unwanted bacteria. Summer heat isn’t always your skin’s friend, but it doesn’t have to stop you from having fun in the sun. Use a gentle cleanser at least twice a day; once in the morning, once at night to remove sweat, dirt and bacteria that can cause acne flare ups.
4. Minimise Peak Day Sun Exposure – The sun’s rays are most intense in the middle of the day-from 11 AM to 3 PM. If possible, avoid spending a lot of time in the sun during those hours. Otherwise, make sure you apply sunscreen regularly (every 1-2 hours) to stay protected.
5. Know Your Acne Products – Did you know your acne medication could be increasing your risk of sunburn and skin cancer? That’s right, many prescription acne medications and topical acne treatments actually make your skin overly sensitive to the sun’s rays. This means you have an increased chance of burning more quickly than you would off the medication. Research the side effects of your acne medication (sun sensitivity is included in many side effect lists), and be sure to check out this article on how to reduce sun sensitivity protect your skin from sun damage.
We've sent you an email with a link to update your password.
A password reset email has been sent to the email address on file for your account, but may take several minutes to show up in your inbox. Please wait at least 10 minutes before attempting another reset.
We recently migrated to a new platform!
This requires you to activate your account again. To do so please click “Create an Account” below, fill in the fields (please note the email MUST be the same email as your account previously otherwise it will be detected as a completely new account) and click register. If your email is detected in our system it will display “Error: We have sent an email to email@example.com, please click the link included to verify your email address.” Please check your email inbox for an activation link. Please note this email may have been sent to your spam box so keep an eye out for it!
Already activated? Sign in below.
No account yet?
Registering for this site allows you to access your order status and history.