Many people have attempted meditation, but struggle, as it’s difficult to switch off the mind. But what if you didn’t have to switch off, but had something else to think about other than stress, problems, worries and all the other thoughts that go through our minds day to day? Hmmm – that could work!
I'd love you to try this mindfulness/ meditation each day for 5 - 10 mins. It’s easily done at the end of the day as you are lying in bed before you go to sleep. If you are new to meditation this makes it easy for a few reasons:
You go to bed every night anyway
You don't have to wake up earlier than normal
You don't have to sit upright
Ready? Here we go…
* Lying comfortably, close your eyes and take a few deep breaths in and out.
* As you exhale start to feel your body relax and become heavier.
* Start to exhale for slightly longer than you inhale.
* Continue breathing, and whilst you breathe...
* Point your toes; reach them towards the floor - hold - and then release.
* Flex your feet; push your heels away from you, pull your toes towards your face - hold – release.
* Tighten the knees; feel them push down towards the floor - and release.
* Contract your Quads (thighs), squeeze a little tighter, squeeze the inner thighs together - hold - release.
* Tighten your Glutes (bum) squeeze a little harder - hold – release.
* Draw in your abs; narrow your waist and draw up through your pelvic floor – hold – release.
* Reach your arms down by your sides, palms facing down reach the fingers towards your feet and press the backs of the shoulders, arms and palms into the floor firmly – hold – release.
* Turn the palms to the sky and make fists with your hands, tighten your fists and again, press down firmly from the shoulders to the fists – hold – release.
* Screw your eyes up tight, clench your teeth and tuck your chin into your chest (without your head leaving the floor) - hold – release.
* Tighten every body part; Point or flex toes, tighten knees, quads, inner thighs, glutes, abs, arms, hands, tighten your eyes, clench your teeth - Hold; squeeze a little tighter - and release.
* Feel your body sink into the ground, feeling heavy and relaxed.
* Soften the brow; collarbones will broaden, arms will feel heavy. Hips and pelvis sink to the ground, legs will fall apart slightly, feet heavy.
* Let your body feel heavy and grounded. All tension released. Take a few more deep breaths in and out continuing until you feel your practice is complete.
You should feel totally relaxed, body released of all tension. You may find doing this before you go to bed helps you to sleep better too – Sleep tight!
Venessa is a down to earth Nutritional Therapist & Life Coach, specialising in helping clear your stress and problem skin through Holistic Simplicity. Her passion for healthy living, whole foods and beauty from the inside out, is a result of years of acne, adrenal exhaustion and digestion issues that affected not only her body but also her confidence. Venessa wants to share with you how Yoga & Meditation along with a natural, unprocessed diet and SkinB5 products can build flawless skin, amazing confidence and a massive smile, as it has done for her.
Check out Venessa’s website for more details about how Nutritional Therapy & Life Coaching could help you. www.holistic-simplicity.com